Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    I could not afford the factory built Altecs in 1965 so I purchased parts and built my cabinet (A7-500) to work with my Dynaco 70 which I also built,, the Dynaco is long gone but the Altec DIY speakers have gone through two kids and are now back home,,

    I still have all the original literature and price sheets,, the parts I purchased were:

    N-800E network $46.50
    806A driver $57
    811B horn $24
    416A speaker 15" $63

    everything is in excellent condition and seems to be working great,, I do notice the lack of much bass even though that woofer is rated to 20HZ, I believe real world is more like 40 or 50HZ,,

    my two questions are:
    1. would it be worthy to replace any of the components in the network,,??
    2. any way to increase the bass,,??

    thanks

    Derry

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    First of all--I'm a little confused about your setup--can you post some photos?? You're calling it an A7-500 but you're not using all the A7-500 components. I'm assuming you mean that you built an A7-500 cabinet to Altec specs and you installed the components that you've listed (which are not all A7-500 components). The A7-500 would have a 500 hz crossover (not the 800 hz one that you're using), also would have a 511 horn and not an 811b etc. Anyways, to answer your questions--to improve the sound of your speaker system you could start by replacing the capacitors in the crossover. After 45 years they have probably shifted far from their original values and that can change the sound of your speaker system (for the worse). Without seeing your cabinet, you may be able to coax more bass from your speaker system by reducing the size of the port ("blocking off" part of it) either through experimentation (trial and error) or by a more scientific approach which I'm sure others here on this forum will know much more about than myself. If you try those two steps and still hear the need for further improvement, you could ship your drivers to Great Plains Audio to have them remagnetized (and possibly reconed/rediaphramed--if needed)...

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    but the Altec DIY speakers have gone through two kids and are now back home,,

    I still have all the original literature and price sheets,, the parts I purchased were:

    N-800E network $46.50
    806A driver $57
    811B horn $24
    416A speaker 15" $63
    First off to see that the speakers are now back at home and still functional is Awesome :2thumbsup:That really shows Altec's build quality.But as V.O.T. has suggested the woofers probably need to be rebuilt Cones,Remag,etc..

    Crossovers same thing - Rebuild

    I love the prices for the componets most definately $60 bucks for a brand new driver

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    thanks for the comments and directions, will pull the crossovers and see what is inside for replacement,,

    after looking at the literature I guess I built the an A7-500 cabinet with the 800 network and the components that were meant to accompany it as they were priced less,, think I was making about $450 a month back then so this purchase was very expensive,,

    I have attached a few photos as well as the 1965 price listing attached to the Altec literature,,

    yes that is a vintage AR2a in front of the VOT that has just been reworked,, now hooked up to the Marantz and sounding very good,,

    seems a lot of my aged equipment I passed on to the kids is now returning,, they gave back a Fisher tube receiver (model 400) that is working, a Pioneer turntable which I had to replace the drive belt and the AR2as,, they still have a few sets of Pioneer speakers they have had reworked and are part of their present audio system,,

    great forum and sure I will be asking more questions as the VOT rework starts,,

    thanks

    Derry

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    thanks for the comments and directions, will pull the crossovers and see what is inside for replacement,,

    after looking at the literature I guess I built the an A7-500 cabinet
    Derry
    Just an A7 cabinet actually, there is not an A7-500 cabinet.



    The A7 box can be re-tuned, there are a number of discussions here if you search...

    And of course there is always the sub option.

    Glad to see the old soldiers still mustering...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    thanks Old Guy, will see what all I can read here to retune the cabinet as part of the rework,,

    have an SVS 13 ultra for the real bass but would like the Altecs to be able to perform at a respectable level,,

    Derry

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: question on my DIY A7-500 of many years past,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post

    I could not afford the factory built Altecs in 1965......................think I was making about $450 a month back then so this purchase was very expensive.......

    .........everything is in excellent condition and seems to be working great,, I do notice the lack of much bass even though that woofer is rated to 20HZ, I believe real world is more like 40 or 50HZ........

    my two questions are:
    1. would it be worthy to replace any of the components in the network,,??
    2. any way to increase the bass,,??

    Sounds familiar! In '64 I DIYed the model 825 cab too, though for an A7-500 Vs your 800 Hz A7 (AKA A7-8) variant, though you did better than me salary wise, I was only making $375/mo..

    That said, you left out the horn flares, so instead of a crude reflex loaded front and back loaded horn you created a very high tuned 6th order band-pass (BP) alignment, so missed out on the A7's sonic 'magic'. Assuming you're still not interested in the woodworking required to add them, at the very least I recommend lining all surfaces except the baffle of the woofer's front chamber and all of one side, back, and bottom of the back chamber with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation or similar to smooth out its response.

    1) As already noted, the XO's caps if they're original since oil caps this old tend to be way out of spec. Of course, clean terminals and replace any wiring that shows any corrosion with the insulation peeled back a bit.

    2) Right, stock tuning is ~65 Hz, so F3 = ~46 Hz. To keep this simple, consider the cab a ~12.66 ft^3 reflex, so reducing the vent's area will lower Fb which will roll off its LF band-width (BW), ergo the only way to flatten it to this lower tuning is by trading efficiency for BW with a baffle step compensation filter (BSC) if the woofers haven't lost much of its motor strength over the decades. If this is done, then the horn will be too 'hot', requiring additional shelving to tonally balance it out.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.